Wednesday 14 September 2011

Update

Hey everybody,

It's now been a little more than a week that I've been Paris and if I may be honest, it hasn't been fantastic.  I understood before coming that the beginning is always hard, you have to start all over with the most basic things like getting housing or a bank account or a phone, but somehow the French system has managed to create a vicious cycle out of this. To get a bank account you must have a fixed address in France, to get housing you must have a bank account, to get a phone you need both...

My greatest victory this week was when after getting brutally rejected by the 'nice' lady at the medical insurance office, I returned determined to get free French health coverage and succeed with a bit of luck! I can now officially get hit by a car and receive treatment at any french hospital (success!)

To celebrate my small victories and my one week anniversary I was craving a piece of home.  That's when I came across a Greek take-out place.  The majority of the time I lived in Toronto was on the Danforth (Greek Town), so for me comfort food is a gyros. Let me tell you, that gyros was one of the best meals I've had in Paris!



         Getting medical insurance

                                                                           So delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment