Saturday 3 December 2011

Greeece!!

After Rome I went to Athens. I had my first experience with the current situation in the country when parts of downtown were shut down due to protests and I had to take a detour to get to my hostel. It was interesting because when I asked the tourism office what was going on they claimed it was a national holiday and definitely not a riot or protest, but when I talked to my cab driver he confirmed that it was absolutely a protest. But overall my trip in Greece was very safe and not violent or scary like the media makes it out to be.  Protests go on only in specific sections of the city and the rest is normal and the day to day life continues.

The historic sites of Athens are so impressive! The Acropolis Museum was great and gave me a nice refresher on Ancient Greek history and then actually seeing the Acropolis was amazing, I loved it so much I went twice!

                                                 On the Acropolis infront of the Parthenon

After Athens I went to the greek island Santorini. It was beautiful!! Exactly what you picture when you think of Greece with the white houses and blue roofs. I was travelling with two Canadian guys from Calgary and we went on a boat tour of the Island. We got dared to go swimming because since we're Canadian apparently this temperature is normal for us haha the water was COLD, but soo worth it :)

                                  
                                                                 Sunset in Santorini

No comments:

Post a Comment