Monday 5 May 2014

Yangshuo

With Easter just around the corner everyone began making travel plans. I had originally thought I wouldn't be able to join anyone however that all changed when a simple Google search for weekend trips from Hong Kong led me to Yangshuo...

I had never heard of this place but the reviews were extremely positive and the flight prices convinced me. We flew out of Shenzhen, which is the first mainland China city from Hong Kong. The journey through the border was less than pleasant with public holiday chaos, but from there everything was a breeze. After what seemed like the shortest flight ever we arrived in Guilin, which is just an hour and a bit from Yangshuo. This whole region is full of hills and mountains, arriving at night all we could see were outlines of this impressive landscape. Our imagination wandered and we couldn't wait to wake up the next day to see it all!




And so we woke up excited and ready to explore. The picture above is the first thing we saw. Speechless, I think is the best way to describe how we felt.  The reviews and pictures had not lied one bit, if anything they didn't do it justice. We went to town to grab some breakfast before renting bikes to explore!




I pretty much rode the whole way with my mouth open in amazement. You know how sometimes you travel far to go see something impressive and then you see it, appreciate it, take a picture and that's it? Well not Yangshuo, it's a 360 experience, everywhere you look is another set of hills, rivers, and fields. 

First stop were the Silver Caves, which gave us a better idea of what was inside all these impressive hills. They lit up the caves with all sorts of colors. Next we went to another cave which had a mud bath and hot springs. I've never been to a mud bath and at first I hated the sensation of it. It felt like being in thick chocolate, minus the delicious chocolate, but then I loved it!! 



Please note these pictures in no way do justice to the beauty of this place, no words can describe it. I will do my best but the only thing I can truly say is GO THERE!











No comments:

Post a Comment